Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Packing was my Everest!!

How long does it take one girl to pack two suitcases, one backpack and a purse? 5 days, no exaggeration (Anna!!). We started out well, the suitcases were filling up nicely and didn't seem to weigh a tonne...then I remembered the laundry I still hadn't put away, and the closet I hadn't gone through....and the 8 pounds (again no exaggeration) of hair and beauty products I had yet to add. Mom and I then spent 4 days taking stuff out of suitcases, switching things between the suitcases and weighing them constantly. Not an easy task. I was told my almost everyone to pack as many heavy things into my carry-on as possible...and then heard from a fellow UK teacher that her carry-on was weighed so then took almost everything out, reorganized, reprioritized and repacked the bag so that it weighed only 16 lbs, 3 over but at that point enough was enough! 

At the airport we had to wait for our Iceland Air check-in to open, and we were first in line! A miracle! Both my suitcases were JUST under the limit, another miracle!! At security everything was fine until my backpack went through...then a lady told me they needed to search it. First she struggled trying to open it...and then the first two items she pulled out were a stuffed beaver and my purple bunny. Then a home-made cat pencil case filled with teachery things. At that point she must have realized that I was a huge nerd and obviously not a threat to our nations security and she jammed the bunny back in and sent me on my way. 

After months of endless planning I couldn't be more excited!! Saying goodbye to everyone was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do but I know it will be worth it! Tomorrow I will be meeting my first cousins for the first time, exploring a new land and having the time of my life! :)


1 comment:

  1. I am sooo glad you are able to go on this adventure! I hope and pray that it is all you hope it will be and then more! I will miss you terribly!

    ReplyDelete