Pages

Sunday, September 26, 2010

These children are MONSTERS!!!

Friday morning my alarm went off at 5:50am...who knew the world even existed at that time???? I then pressed snooze for 15 minutes and then dragged myself out of bed (more like fell out of bed thanks to my super slippery sheets). I then took the bus to Hays to get my assignment for the day. I was told that it would be year one (gulp) and that it was a specially difficult class (double gulp). Steph met me at Hays and we went to school together which was so awesome, no fear of getting lost!
Like everything else in the UK the school was super old, maybe a church in a past lifetime. The gym was in the middle, which I am guessing was the old sanctuary, with the classrooms off the side. The kids had a pretty decent sized playground with a small patch of grass (which they clearly LOVED).
When I got into the classroom I discovered that there was nothing left for me to use during the day. The teacher also hadn’t done any planning since September 7 so I had nothing to refer back to. Not even a time table. Awesome. There was one silver lining to this cloud: the TA. She was AMAZING! She helped me to find activities to copy for the kids to do and helped with crowd control. My day basically consisted of controlling the beasts, yes, miniature beasts. 
I have never met children like this in my life. They literally did not listen to a single word I said. It doesn’t help that my mental ‘bag of tricks’ is for older kids...at times it felt like I was drowning. My favorite part of the day was when I took the children outside to play. And when I say play I mean run around like rabid creatures while I chase them and pry them off one another. I have never been so exhausted in my ENTIRE life. I would use the exact same methods of getting the attention of the class and they would laugh at me. They would LAUGH!!!! I tried flicking the lights to get their attention and they told me to stop being annoying!!!!  No combination of words, in any language spoken on planet earth in the history of time, can express my  frustration towards those children. 
This is a quick summary of my day:
 -marker fight
- child hiding behind reading center refusing to do work
- child having a temper tantrum...complete with floor kicking and lip pouting
- child drawing on play equipment with a permanent marker 
- children caught cutting pictures out of picture book
- child caught stealing school property
After longest bus ride home, ever: chocolate, chips, pizza, rant to lizz, SLEEP and then out with my new teacher friends!! I wish the weekend would never end!!!!!!!! Please Monday, NEVER COME!!!
All in all, just a day in the life of Alicia! 

1 comment:

  1. Oh No Alicia!!!!!!!!

    I hope that your future classes are much better behaved! Believe it or not, I do the clapping thing that our FAV prof used to do.....hate to admit it, but it works. Doesn't sound like it would work on those devil spawns though :(

    Your flat looks AMAZING! (Saw Lizz's pictures) and I totally want to visit. Unfortunately I'm poor. I hope your weekend has been relaxing, wishing you plenty of luck next week!!
    xoxo
    Corrin

    ReplyDelete