Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

Gypsies DO exist!!

Today was a wonderful day. Lizz and I were dropped in Darlington to poke around....and shop. And shop we did. We almost didn't have time for lunch!! There were lots and lots of wonderful shops...it was a problem. We both have come to the conclusion that while at home we have to look around and to find something unique or that screams YOU NEED ME, TAKE ME HOME!!...that problem doesn't exist here. I want everything. I NEED everything. Almost every store has fun and trendy pieces that can make quite the statement. How the two of us will return to shopping in Canada I just don't know!!  That being said I did control myself and bought only a long black 3/4 length sleeves shirt that has sequins and jewels on the shoulders (D Brown you would LOVE IT!) and a black tank....total cost for the shopping trip was under 9 pounds! Impressive, if I do say so myself!!  Lizz got a new backpack that was a super deal, and was also VERY needed, a shirt dress and some tights, she is now a happy girl!!

On the way home we stopped at Escomb Saxon Church. http://www.escombsaxonchurch.com/  It was built in 670 AD, a place of worship for over 1400 years! Truly amazing! It was in perfect condition, and quite the contrast to yesterdays Cathedral! On the front gate to the church it told you to go to a house on the other side of the church and ask for the keys...which they are more than willing to give to you. How cute, and trustworthy is that?? I was talking to a man while looking at the church and he said that in the UK people seem to have a unspoken respect for the many churches and cathedrals. They really don't have any problems with graffiti; this church was in a rough area but the grounds around the church were in perfect condition. Kinda cool!

We also went to a train museum in the town of Shildon, where my Uncle Alan is from. This museum had lots of types of locomotives, train cars etc. In the welcome building there is a replica of the steam train 'Sans Pareil'. It was built to compete in the Rainhill Trials in October of 1829. This was a competition to see if stationary steam engines or locomotives would be used to pull the trains. Quite a piece of history! The museum also held the steam engine which holds the record for the highest speed. Around a couple of the locomotives were oil pans to soak up any spills or leaks...can't get any more realistic than that!

Random notes of today:

- While the UK is famous for their traffic circles I really didn't understand how many there are.....they are EVERYWHERE. You can't drive for more than 5 minutes without driving in a complete circle only to keep driving in the exact same direction. They are causing my stomach to experience so rather unpleasant feelings.

-I thought that gypsies were either something created by Disney for The Hunchback of Notre Dame or fizzled out as time went by. Turns out....no. We were driving down the road and I dared to look out of the side window (usually this almost causes an instant desire to vomit so I usually focus out the front window) and there were some horses and ponies randomly in the middle grassy area on the outskirts of a village. I commented on how it was weird that they were there with no fences or anything and was told that they were gypsies horses and were likely just dumped there for a bit. My response: WHAT???? My Aunt went on to tell me that she often delivered gypsy baby's at the hospital, one woman was sporting a belt made of DIAMONDS!!! They are rich, don't pay taxes, live in campers (an upgrade from the Disney addition of the wooden cart) and have their wealth in their horses and their jewels. There families are very close, ie. inbred. They all gather in a town called Appleby for a fair every year! (look at this if you don't believe me.... http://www.applebyfair.org/ ). There was a reality show on here about them which my Aunt said was hilarious... http://www.channel4.com/programmes/my-big-fat-gypsy-wedding 

No comments:

Post a Comment