Pages

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Old blog: Thoughts from September 23


Today was a super productive day! I had not yet received my UK police check (don’t even get me started on that one!!) so I had the day off. Lizz and I slept in....something I will surely miss when work, and real life, starts!! We then took the bus to a little shopping area and finnnnnally got the rest of the necessities we have been lacking. It feels wonderful to have a fully functioning  home!!
Pretty much as soon as we got there Lizz decided that she needed to use the bathroom....badly. So she asked a store clerk if there was one for public use. This is a rough transcript of the hilarious conversation:
Lizz: do you have bathrooms?
Clerk: What? (with a super dazed expression)
Lizz: Do you have washrooms?
Clerk: UUhhhhh (looker more and more ‘intelligent’ by the second)
Me: Toilets!!!!!
Clerk: Uh like toilet seats?
Lizz: NO. Do you have a toilet I can use?
Clerk: Uhhhhhhhh a toilet you can use?? Uhhhh no. 
Lizz and I exchange looks of ‘wow, she is suuuuper brilliant and helpful’.
Result: We decided to just go home and use ours. 
After we went shopping I stopped at the girls house and discovered that my CRB (UK police check) had indeed arrived (we used their address the first week to get stuff started before we had our own). I was excited to start teaching again but also super scared, I knew I would likely be teaching young children and that is something I have zero experience with! Everyone has also been telling us horror stories from work so that wasn’t helping extreme fear either!
That night we decided that we needed to make our house appear more ‘homey’ and spent the night doing cut and paste, now our upstairs hallway beautiful garden of paper flowers! Much better!!
In other news:
-everyone here uses a plastic tub in the sink (no clue why)....and so do we because of a lack of a plug
-After talking to Alan it turns out that England as a nation has yet to master the art of plumbing, aka showers, so I will be officially spending the year taking showers sitting down or having a bath....awesome. Lizz can stand because of small moveable shower head can reach her hair. I am too tall....great. 
-We have booked our first holiday from school: a trip to London for 5 or so days with Laura and her husband! AWESOME! We are going to do an ‘apartment share’, so we basically rented an apartment for a week which is much much cheaper than paying for a hostel or hotel and we can cook which will also help to save cash!
-While everyone warned me that british people are super grouchy we have yet to meet one...everyone has been super nice to us!
-The people at the post office now recognize us and chat...we are their regulars!

No comments:

Post a Comment