Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

nurture vs nature: proof i am turning into my parents

Although I live an ocean away from my family it is starting to become very clear that I am quickly turning into my parents. A very strange combination of both of them.

How I know I am turning into my Father
- I randomly sing at school. People have started to notice and comment.
- I can never remember the names of kids at school... and if they look even remotely like someone else I will probably call them that name first. I don't think Dad has gone a single day at school remembering everyones name. Once he called me Edison. Edison was our dog.
- I don't just walk down the hall at school, I charge. So much so that I tend to run into the desks and chairs of the younger children as they are so short and out of my immediate view. While in Bali I got a pedicure and the lady asked my why I had so many bruises on the same spot on both of shins. It was an embarrassing explanation.
- I am rather....'dramatic'. The staff at school are starting to make fun of me for being 'too excitable' or 'too happy'. As if that is a bad thing!
- It is my constant goal to be the first teacher at school. If I am fail to be the first one I am actually a bit angry at the person who beat me.
- On Saturday and Sunday morning I feel endlessly guilty if I don't jump out of bed and start accomplishing things. Who needs a day to relax? Relaxing is completely over rated.
- Within 5 minutes of deciding that 'it is probably a good idea to sit down and relax a little' I fall dead asleep because I haven't stopped working since I woke up. 


How I know I am turning into my Mother
- I spend all my spare time in my garden, just puttering away.
- I get super excited when I get a plant at a good deal and feel the sudden need to tell everyone about what a 'deal' I got.
- Last night I spent literally 3 hours in front of the tv cutting material, loving every second. Mom does that at least once a week. 
- I have company coming next weekend and started cleaning 7 days in advance. Just slightly ridiculous. My 16 year old self would punch me for that.
- The biggest one: this morning I ate my cereal and drank my tea while sitting on my back stoop in my pj's. If that isn't Julia French I don't know what is!

1 comment: