Pages

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Christmas at Forest Lodge

After spending time with my cousins outside of Manchester I was traded off to my Aunt and Uncle who live in the UK equivalent of Algonquin Park. It is absolutely gorgeous! They have three dogs: Charlie, Ollie and Stanley. Charlie is a big labrador, Ollie is a hairy collie and Stanley is a mystery.








For our festive breakfast we had black pudding, sausage, bacon, potato cakes, brown beans and buttered toast. What a way to start the day!! After each scrumptious bite I could feel my arteries clogging just a little bit more....worth it? YES! 


Our lovely Christmas dinner was started with tomato soup; it followed by turkey, ham, bacon-wrapped sausage, potatoes, stuffing, carrots and asparagus soaked in mouth-watering gravy. YUM!







The weather has been less than ideal... snow, slush and the recent addition of all-incasing fog. I didn't know that it in the middle of winter there could be fog that lasted all day... well there is. But I did manage to get a couple shots of some of the more picturesque mist!








This afternoon (Wednesday), we went to the coal merchants on the way home. Now I had always been under the impression that household coal fires were a thing of the past, just another example of my UK-life ignorance. My trip to get coal, a regular occurrence for many UK’ers, was by far the highlight of my day. It was wonderfully dirty, there were cute trucks loaded with sacks of coal for home deliveries and huge piles of coal outside the building, much like Canadian salt piles waiting to be spread on the roads. The best part was two men, completely covered in coal-dust, who were loading sacks, they had the worlds biggest smiles and were singing the entire time, so cute! Now that I have created this literary image for you add a blonde girl walking around wide-eyed, open-mouthed and camera out... yes, that was me. And yes, I looked very much like a ridiculous 12 year old child who was just let into Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory.










No comments:

Post a Comment